Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Not for Grumpy People

Some people are so miserable and grumpy, I wonder if they know how to smile. Every opportunity you give them, turns into excuses for why something won't work. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing (though I'm sure that has some impact) but I wonder if they've ever been exposed to the other side of the coin.

I started to wonder why I even feel so passionately about grumpy people. Why do I care what they think. I mean, they exist, they live their lives and who am I to judge or make comment on how they choose to live their lives? If they want to be grumpy - let them, right?! If I dissect this further, I realize what has changed in me internally - I used to be grumpier, and I see the light now.

I used to think of it as "the glass is half empty but it means we can easily fill it up with more". I guess I always used to see additional opportunities when it looked a bit tough. Now, I realize there is even another way - "the glass is half full AND we can easily fill it up with more".

I am amazed at the impact this attitude has on everyone around me. Not only am I happier, everyone around me is happier! The facts have not changed, yet we all seem to be having more fun trying to fill the glass! With this change, I now want to share this secret even with the grumpy people.

I realize though that some people are absolutely satisfied in their grumpiness and that won't change until they decide they're ready to change. Sometimes, I need to keep my passion in check and make sure I don't waste too much time on the grumpy.

This blog is not for the grumpy. It's for those who are already open and ready - let's share the secret and pass it along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living", Dale Carnegie says "One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today" (pg 10). While I'm not saying that you should go out and blow your life savings in one shot, I think people would be less grumpy if they simply lived in the present. For instance, if you have a nice or expensive article of clothing you're saving for a special occasion, I say wear it now! Moreover, if there's something you want to learn or a place you want to see, sign up for the class or book the trip today, rather than waiting until you're "less busy".