Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Different Diet

I don't know why people love to diet. Okay, actually, I do know why people go on diets but diets don't work, (and that is a whole other story).

Since people like the term, I thought that I could give new meaning to the word 'diet'. I think it is time to go on a Vocabulary Diet.

This diet will take some time to adjust, and we'll fumble at first, but with consistency and a conscious effort, I know we can succeed. Let's just start with one word to start, and with time, we'll add more to the list.

Let's start with the easy target and remove this phrase:

"I Can't"

Examples:
"I can't afford that. I can't get a raise. I can't meet people.
I can't find a girlfriend/boyfriend. I can't get a job. I can't fit
into my clothes. I can't.."

Replace with:
"How can I afford that? How can I get a raise? How can I meet
people? How can I find a girlfriend/boyfriend? How can I get a
job? How can I fit into my clothes? How can I...?"

As Yoda says, "Do or do not. There is no try."

P.S. If you're looking for strategies on making fitness enjoyable, check out my other
blog here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At first glance, one may think author Mitch Albom has everything a person could possibly want in life: a loving wife, a successful career, a house on a hill, cars, stocks, and even makes more money than he can imagine ("Tuesdays With Morrie" 16). Yet his life lacks meaning and fulfillment, and it's only through reconnecting with his former professor that he's able to learn "life's greatest lesson", which is that it's never too late to change your life. So rather than wasting time complaining about your problems and unhappiness to others, why not try taking immediate action to fix the situation?