Sunday, April 13, 2008

What the Frak?

As I was catching up on the first 2 episodes of Season 4 of Battlestar Galactica the other day, I was amazed at what the characters were saying. It was as if they were speaking to me regarding life and life's questions and answers.

I love this show in so many ways - from the smart story-telling, to the incredible acting (Canadian actors too!), to the cinematography (I have no idea what that means - I only know it looks amazing) - there is a lot to appreciate. Without giving away anything about the show, let's call it a story about 2 races - the Humans and the Cylons. In fact, a battle between good and evil.

The thought suggested on the show was that if you were Cylon (supposedly evil) and never knew it until now, does that change anything about who you were prior to today.

Say for example, you always fought against the Cylons. You lived your entire life devoted to helping yourself and others in beating them mentally and physically. Now, what happens if you find out today that you are actually Cylon and always have been. What does that mean? What defines you? Your thoughts, beliefs and actions, or your genetics?

Here's what I believe: I'm Human. And even if I were Cylon, it really wouldn't matter because I believe what defines me are things within my control (not genetics). What I believe and what I choose to do is who I am. So I choose to believe that I am capable and able to do whatever it is I need to do in this life and if that means battling Cylons for instance, then so be it. Every day is a new day for kicking some Cylon butt. You game?


If you want a 4 minute introduction to the miniseries, click here.

If you want an 8 minute video summary of the past 3 years worth of episodes (that would mean all spoilers), try watching this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those shows that I always hear is really good but that I've never actually gotten around to watching. Probably what will end up happening is I'll wait until the series is canceled and then download all the episodes and watch them in the span of a week.

Daisy said...

BSG's current season is the final season (4 in total). Don't believe the hype though. It's a terrible show. Horrible. Junk. :)

P.S. Don't want you to have high expectations from all the hype and then be disappointed.