Monday, February 25, 2008

I read a book

I love books, and it's been so long since I've had a chance to read. I was at my father-in-law's house for dinner, when I found an interesting book on his coffee table. It was "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.

It's about a 15 year old boy with Asperger's Syndrome who finds a neighbour's dog killed with a pitchfork. It's narrated from the boy's perspective and takes you on his journey as he tries to solve the murder-mystery of who killed Wellington the dog.

As you step into this narrative and read about the boy's quirks, it reminds me of each of our individual quirks. Some things that are quite obvious for strangers to note, may be less obvious for us since we're too close to the situation. It is with this knowledge that I think we sometimes need to rely on others to help us on our journey of self-discovery.

I wonder if I also have those quirks that needs somebody to help me smash away and start to live life without that baggage weighing me down. Who am I kidding? Of course I've got the baggage! On the bright side, I think I've donated a bunch of old baggage already....

P.S. I also really enjoyed taking the time to read this entertaining book.

No comments: