Friday, September 7, 2007

Slowing down to smell the roses

I said an extra special Thank You to a co-worker yesterday.

I called her and when I didn't reach her, I left her a voicemail telling her that I really appreciated all the effort she put into getting something done for me as quickly as she did.

She sent me a quick email saying "You're welcome". She then went on to dismiss what she did by saying essentially that it was just her job and it was "all in a day's work".

I could not let her do this to herself. Never ever underestimate your abilities or your impact to someone else! I reminded her that I knew everyone has a lot on the go, and that the extra effort she mustered up to get things done was extremely appreciated. Yes, it is her job, but she could just as easily have given me many reasons why she couldn't get it done.

You know what happened? I think I made her day. Plus, I made my day too. I can't explain why I felt so great about it - perhaps it was simply in seeing the impact I was making on her mood and then the ensuing extra effort she put into the rest of the day. It was fabulous. I felt as though I made a difference. We need to do that every day.

Let's compliment 2 people every day of our lives. Think about how great you'll make them feel, and how great you'll feel too.

Let me start: Thank you for the taking the time to read my post! What do you think? Agree, Disagree? Any suggestions for making someone's day?

No comments: